Moon boot and mid-shaft tibial stress fracture

Q: Hi there, I had a one year history of right mid-shaft tibial stress fracture, anterior cortex (but only just - very minimal penetration of the cortex), that failed to respond to conservative management for almost 12 months. I had an ORIF 2/52 ago where the site of the fracture was chipped away at with an osteotome then plated. I have been partial weight bearing on crutches since and now have been advised to be in a moon boot for the next 4/52. Full weight bearing as tolerated, FROM in the moon boot, cycling and swimming without the moon boot are okay.
But i don't understand why I am in the moon boot! I can weight bear fully (always have been able to and the surgeon said it is not a problem to now that I am off crutches) and the moon boot has a FROM. My understanding of the moon boot is to provide stability around the ankle joint or to restrict movement in say and achilles rupture. Surely it can not be providing stability in the mid shaft tibia region? Is there any benefit in wearing it? My opinion is no but I won't be seeing the surgeon for another 3 weeks now!
Opinions appreciated.
Stefan Fairweather

Symptoms:  Bone pain