Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Moon face from steroid use during back surgery

Moon face from steroid use during back surgery

Patient: I was on prednisone for six weeks before and after my back surgery. i have been off of it for 3 weeks now and my moon face has not gone away fully. when should i expect my moon face to be gone and my face to return to normal? will it go away for sure?

Symptoms: Round puffy face

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.Usually it takes months together for the side effects of steroids to wane off compl etely. It might take 5-6 months or even more depending on the factors like the dose you were given, the period you were given steroids , serum cortisol levels etc. In most of the cases, moon facies disappear completely.I hope it helps.Stay healthy.