"Morning After" Pill and Successive Use of It

Patient

Q: I have a question about the Morning After Pill. Can I have sex Friday and then take the pill. Have sex Saturday and then take the pill. And have sex sunday and then take the pill? In other words, how many times can I have sex using one pill? And can you just keep using the pill in succession if you have sex multiple days in a row?

Symptoms:  No symptoms.
Doctor

A:   Pregnancy is caused as a result of sexual intercourse only if it occurs within one's so called "fertile period". The fertile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period.
An emergency pill or ECP is a birth control pill that can prevent pregnancy after an unprotected intercourse. People sometimes call it the "morning after pill." But you don't have to wait until the morning after sex to take it. In fact, ECP is more effective the sooner you take it. It is a one-dose regimen: you take one pill. The pill contains 1.5 milligrams of levonorgestrel, which is used in lower doses in many birth control pills. Such emergency contraceptive pills containing Levonorgestrel are hormonal pills and thus the may cause changes in the hormonal system of the body. This may cause unscheduled vaginal bleeding giving rise to irregular menstrual pattern. The recommended window for protection is 72 hours and the number of time one has intercourse within the preceding 72 hours does not matter here. Please be informed that ECP is for an emergency and routine use of such pills may cause hormonal imbalance, as these pills are hormonal in nature. Please consult a doctor for a discussion on the other available methods for contraception.