Morning after pill could delay periods

Patient

Q: Had unprotected sex while I was on my periods, but the periods finished the next day, so I took morning after pill. after 5 days of taking morning after pill I was bleeding again. and now my periods are late days. Is it because I had periods twice in one month or am I pregnant ?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Generally when you have your periods i.e. when you are still bleeding and you have sex, the chances of a possible conception are almost remote. You also say that you used emergency contraceptive pill or the morning after pill because of which it lead to bleeding again after 5 days. This is called as intermittent bleeding & it is a side effect of the morning after pill. It does not mean that you had your period twice. Because of using this pill your period may have been delayed, if you did not have unprotected sex after the usage of morning after pill the chances of a pregnancy are almost remote.
Hope that answers your query.
Have a good day.