Mosquito bite allergy causing swelling

Patient

Q: I've been getting many mosquito bites on my body which swells up. I was given allergy medication but it doesn't seem to help. What can I do about it?

Doctor

A:   Sensitivity to mosquito bites is known, and people who suffer from it usually do well by avoiding such bites. You should use effective pest control measures, especially against insects like mosquitos, both at home and at your work place. Wear full-sleeves, body covering garments and apply a good mosquito repellent over the exposed areas of the body while moving outdoors. Keep the area around your house clean and avoid stagnant waters (potential site for mosquito breeding). You may apply calamine lotion and have an anti-histaminic tablet (as and when required) to relieve your symptoms of itching and rashes.