Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mother has swelling,sore,pain,cracks,dry,pinkish,burning sensation

Mother has swelling,sore,pain,cracks,dry,pinkish,burning sensation

Patient: Hi DoctorsWe live in Toronto, ON and we went to several doctors they didn’t give us much help. My mother has swelling,sore,pain,cracks,dry,pinkish,burning sensation that is unbearable for many years. it is mainly on the bottom lip and a rash comes with this problem. The rash on her body is white and bumpy like it discoloured, but it comes and goes. My mother is always covering it up with lipstick.Please i need your help doctors

Symptoms: swelling,sore,pain,cracks,dry,pinkish,burning sensation that is unbearable for many years on the upper and lower lips of the mouth

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Your mother’s condition is likely being exacerbated by her coverage of the affected area w ith lipstick. Lipstick that is used frequently, can become a nidus for bacteria, which when applied to the lips can result in infection. First we recommend that she refrain from doing this and try using a non-fragranced, colour free, hypoallergenic lip balm, like petroleum jelly to keep the area moist and prevent further cracking. It is likely to heal on its own if left undisturbed, without make up for a few days to a week, however, if it isn’t healing, she will have to see dermatologist to evaluate this.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com