Mr

Patient

Q: I have trouble with my appetite and so struggle to gain weight. I am not unhealthily underweight, I am male, 28 yrs old, 6ft 1, and 11 stone.

It has taken me about a year of eating to the extent which makes makes me uncomfortable, to build up to 11 stone from 10 stone. If I don't try my hardest to eat as much as I can, I lose weight. It takes so much effort to gain a pound, but I can easily lose a couple over a weekend if I'm not careful.

I often struggle to eat in stressful situations. By stressful I even mean a sit down meal with friends (so hardly stressful!!). This makes me wonder if it's mental. Hoping this could be something medical, and just me worrying about it makes it worse when I am around people.

There have been 2 or 3 periods in the last few years, where I have struggled to eat anything for weeks. The smell of food made me nauseous. Once (only once), the smell of food actually made me throw up.

I started swimming a couple of times a week, about 8 months ago. I hoped a bit of exercise might help, but doesn't seem to affect my weight gain or loss in any significant way. I am enjoying it and will keep doing it anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Doctor