MRI Evaluation-What does this mean?

Q: Truncation of the inner half of the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus is noted without a displaced fragment. Findings are consistent with degenrative and mastoid type tear. Moderate effusion is present. A 7 mm loose or metaplastic body is noted in the lateral aspect of the suprapatellar joint space. Moderate to severe patellofemoral osteoarthritis is noted. Cartilage of the medial compartment is completely denuded. Moderate to severe lateral compartment osteoarthritis is present. a 13 mm full thickness cartilaginous defect is noted along the weightbearing surface of the lateral femoral condyle. Medial meniscus is severely extruded.

A:   The MRI report essentially describes a severely diseased knee joint which is the result of ostearthritis. There is also a collection of fluid within the joint. Such a description coupled with significant symtpoms may be an indication of knee replacement surgery.