MRI for low back pain

Q: What does This result mean? Good? Bad? Not to worry? PLease enlighten me thanks! MRI OF THE LUMBOSACRAL SPINE Clinical Informaion: Low Back Pain Findings: There is straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis, likely secondary to muscular spasm. The lumbar vertebral bodies are of normal height, marrow signal intensity, and alignment. There is a small focal fatty marrow replacement involving the L4 vertebral body. At L4-5, there is disc dessication associated with an inferiorly directed central disc extrusion that mildly compresses the thecal sac. This disc extrusion measures approximately 6 x 10 mm in AP transverse dimensions. The rest of the lumbar intervertebral disc spaces demonstrate preservation of height and signal intensity, with no oher additional focal disc herniation. The conus medullaris and cauda equine rootlets are normal. Paravertebral sof tissues are unremarkable. Impression: At L4-5, there is an inferiorly directed central disc extrusion that mildly compresses the thecal sac.

A:    Basically all this means that if you are having  a low back pain this is mostly caused by mechanical factors: muscle spasms; on the other hand it was found a little and focal disc bulging at L4-L5 level, which is not causing a franc nerve compression at this time. But in the future you have to be careful with efforts like weight lifting because this may lead to a disc herniation that might compress the nerve and cause severe low back pain. Also try to keep a good posture at all times and keep you weight under control.