MRI of the Knee and Periosteal lesion finding

Patient: I had an MRI last Fri. It showed a tear of the anterior ligament and of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. I kind of figured that. But, the report went on to read. Periosteal lesion is seen at the lateral aspect of the distal femur with adjacent soft tissue edema, underlying neoplastic process cannot be excluded. A bone scan is being scheduled. But what does the lesion mean? Thank YOu,

Doctor: When the anterior ligament gets injured it is very common to find associated a lesion of the corresponding meniscus. The best imaging study to diagnose knee injuries is the MRI, which is very specific, precise and accurate.In your case, the MRI also reported, as an additional finding, a lesion on the surface or “periosteal” area of the outer and lower part of your femur with an associated inflammation of the surrounding soft parts, when the MRI gives this kind of finding it is very important to perform a bone scan to rule out a “neoplastic” process which means that a group of cells are growing and the nature of that process- growth (benign or malignant) has to be determined.