MRI or phyical therapy

Q: I have been having pain in left knee forover a year. The pain is getting worst and xray refecently fine except dr said early signs of arthritis. My symptoms ache in knee, loud pop at times when turn, if kneel down too long it locks and cant straigten it for awhile, extemely painful to unbend when it locks, feel grinding in knee when move it. I think it sounds like meniscus tear. My dr wants to try physical therapy because he thinks there is weakening in it. Should I ask for MRI..i recently had to change family drs and am a Nurse so I dont want the Dr to think im gonna be a diffcult patient

Symptoms:  Left knee pain, knee locks in bent position if kneel to long, knee pops, feels it grinding when move it,

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I think you are having meniscus injury. So MRI will be a useful investigation. Till then, you can continue with quadriceps exercise. You can take analgesics like Ibuprofen for pain relief.
Hope your query got answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.