MRI report, trying to fine out what the report means .

Patient : I had a MRI taken a week ago and it reads 1) at L-5-S-1 there is a moderate degenerative lateral recess and foraminal narrowing effacing the exiting right and left L-5 nerve roots 2) There is grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L-5 in relation to S-1 secondary to bilateral spondylolysis of L-5. Can you explain this in lay mans term. Please
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. We will try our best to explain these results for you as follows: 1) L-5-S-1 there is a moderate degenerative lateral recess and foraminal narrowing effacing the exiting right and left L-5 nerve roots This means that at the level of your lumbar spine (lower back) there is moderation deterioration of the bone of the vertebra in areas in which the nerve roots course through. This can lead to impingement and pain on these nerves. 2)Grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L-5 in relation to S-1 secondary to bilateral spondylolysis of L-5 This means that at the L5 lumbar vertebrae it is observed that it is shifted forward in the presence of degenerative break down of the the L5 lumbar vertebra. We hope this explains this report for you. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com