Mri ??'s for lump on knee

Q: Hi There, I am a 42 yr old woman with a history of an arthroscopic medial meniscal repair 5-6 yrs ago with excellent results.I now have a very firm,painless lump on the top of my tibia extending over the joint of my interior left knee. My Dr. did an xray which showed a faint round shadow that neither he nor the radiologist could identify(they had never seen this before). Yesterday I had an MRI and was supposed to get contrast. After the first part without contrast, the tech. came in and said I was done they didn't need to use the contrast as the radiologist was confident on the Dx...but of course they couldn't tell me.
It is the weekend and now I am left to writhe in wonder if an easy dx is a "good" thing or not. I am very aware of the potential of sarcoma and in reading some studies say contrast is not necessary. Also, I am familiar with ganglion and other benign possibilities as well.I guess my question there a more positive spin that this didn't need contrast??? or ...a "no way to say", or "uh oh". Surely you likely need to see the studies for yourself but I wondered if you could explain when contrast is not indicated when it had been requested originally by the Dr..Thank you.