MRI scan to see cartilages?

Q: Good morning,

I have a question. Two years ago I had a cartilage operation and now my knee became really bad, I haven't work for a week now because I can't walk on it. I am using cratches which I got in the hospital because I had to go in a week ago with the ambulance. It was really bad. Then the hospital sent me to my GP and she referred me for an MRI scan but unfortunately it takes 4-6 weeks to get the appointment. It is a really long time and I only got a sick note for a week which is gonna end on Sunday, so on Monday I have to go to work but I stll can't walk.
Even the GP and the doctor said it is going to be cartilage problem again but they didn't give me any instructions what to do to make it better until the scan. They said to rest it but it doesn't help at all and I am taking 3 tablets, three times daily, paracetamol, codein and ibuprofen which don't seem to help at all.

So I really need some help what to do. Do you think I really need to wait for the MRI to figure out what is the problem?

Thank you very much,

Symptoms:  Really bad knee pain