MRI showing bulging disc and possible syringoyelia

Q: I had an MRI that showed a bulging disc and possible syringomyelia. I have been on tramadol, cymbalta and naprosyn but I told her it was not helping. They need me to go in for another MRI before treatment, but can I ask her now for something stronger or will she think bad of me? I'm scared too and really wish we could get the MRI scheduled. But really just want to know if my PCP will prescribe me anything stronger now that they know I have a bulging disc before sending me to pain management or a surgeon?

A:   Both conditions, bulging disc and syringomyelia, are cause of severe back pain and if your current medication is not helping you, you may go ahead and discuss it with your PCP, so you get prescribed a different analgesic while the MRI is done and the definite diagnosis is known and from there select the best treatment option for your case.