Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > MRI with contrast and early pregnancy.

MRI with contrast and early pregnancy.

Patient: I had an MRI with contrast last friday and yesterday took two at home pregnancy tests that both show positive. Will the MRI effect my pregnancy?

Symptoms: Positive pregnancy tests

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.At present there are no conclusive studies regarding the safet y of MRI in pregnancy.It depends on various factors like the part of the body for which MRI was directed, time of exposure, the gestational age of pregnancy etc.If you decided to continue the pregnancy, you need regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examination at 11 weeks and TIFFA(targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) ultrasound at 20 weeks to monitor the wellbeing of the baby and to detect any possible anomalies at the earliest.Take care.