Mrs

Patient : Hi, I have been in a car accident 20 years ago. I broke my back, and they did a bone grafting and Harrington rods. The rods is still in place after 20 years. My back has been acting up for a long period and I wanted to go for an MRI. Now, I heard that a MRI is not a good idea, is this true? They said that I should go for something called scintigram? I am not familiar with that. Could you please give me some advice?
Symptoms:  hurts when i sneeze, if i bent over, pick up heavy stuff. Can not stand or sit for long periods of time. Have difficulty turning around when sleeping.