Mrs Rolfe

Q: Hi - I have always been a keen gym goer and prior to finding out I was pregnant went to the gym up to 12 sessions per week (once in my lunch hour and once after work then once on saturday and sunday ) When I discovered I was pregnant I was told to cut this down to a maximum of once a day which I have done however I am experiencing some abdominal pain which is worrying me. I have done some research on the internet and have become aware that there are severe dangers to the fetus by over exercising and overheating, not something that my doctor knew anything about.

Typically I know run on a treadmill for 20 - 25 minutes at a speed of 10.5 and then do half and hours weights. Alternatively I may do cardio for 45-60 minutes trying to ensure I can talk at all times and only doing what is comfortable. The trouble is being as I am so familiar with the gym I can push myself hard and do not have any trouble often without realising how hard I am going.

Sometimes I will do a gentle 45 minute cycle on the exercise bike but during all my exercise I sweat (I do drink a lot of water) but am in an air conditioned environment so do not get red faced and out of breath.

I am very concerned that doing this 6 days a week has damaged the development of my baby especially as I have some lower abdominal pains at the moment - please advise as I cant sleep worrying about this!

I am now 9 weeks pregnant and terrified but would hate to have to cut down on the gym muich more if it is not required.