MRSA

Patient: My 2 year old stepson spends half of the week with me, and was diagnosed as having MRSA. I also have a 4 month old son who is very close to crawling. My stepson is always trying to touch/kiss the baby. I am very concerned with my son developing MRSA because to my knowledge it can be fatal? I am not sure the extent to which I should be keeping one away from the other..

Doctor: I understand your concern about MRSA transmission; it is very responsible from you to inquire about this. Hand washing r emains your best defense against germs. Scrub hands briskly for at least 15 seconds, then dry them with a disposable towel and use another towel to turn off the faucet. Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol for times when you don’t have access to soap and water. Keep cuts and abrasions clean and covered with sterile, dry bandages until they heal. The pus from infected sores may contain MRSA, and keeping wounds covered will help keep the bacteria from spreading.Avoid sharing personal items such as towels, sheets, razors, clothing and athletic equipment. MRSA spreads on contaminated objects as well as through direct contact. If you have a cut or sore, wash towels and bed linens in a washing machine set to the hottest water setting (with added bleach, if possible) and dry them in a hot dryer. Wash gym and athletic clothes after each wearing. I hope I cleared your doubt.