Mucus Like Breast discharge

Patient

Q: What could be the cause of the mucus like discharge out of my nipple after i have squeezed it?

Doctor

A:   A breast discharge in a women who is not pregnant may be normal but requires further evaluation. A normal nipple discharge may look milky, or it may be yellow, green. The common causes of breast discharge are breast abscess, medications like birth control pills, cemetidine and antidepressants and intra ductal papillomas. Other causes could be prolactinomas and breast cancer. The presence of blood in the discharge warrants urgent evaluation by a doctor.