x
185 Physicians Online

Question:

Mupirocin Ointment USP. Two percent on boils?

I got it from the doctor last time i had a boil a couple months ago. It says to use it 3 times a day for 7 days on the affected area. I have 2 boils down there and they hurt soo bad. The biggest one hurts even worse today than before. I cant get either of them to come to head and i had 3 but the other one eventually came to a head and drained yesterday. Will the ointment help it come to head and drain or just make it go away? I only used the ointment 3 times for 1 day when i got my first boil because the day after i got the ointment i got it lanced. The two boils i have now are red and hard. The biggest one is either slightly bigger or the size a dime. I dont have insurance or a medical card or the money to go to the doctor now that my stepmom (was on her insurance) got a divorce from my dad. Is there any way to get rid of this? I've tried onions, potatoes, warm compresses, hot showers, soaking in hot baths, and now this ointment. :( And i put some of the ointment on the boils lastnight before i went to sleep. I woke up this morning, took a shower, and then put some more on the boils.

Answer:

According to the description of the problem, you seem to be suffering from folliculitis. Folliculitis is the inflammation of the hair folliciles due to tight clothing, shaving or when the pores get blocked. There may also be an underlying infection associated with the folliculitis. Most of the time warm compresses and oral or topical antibiotics (mupirocin) help to resolve the folliculitis. I would advice you not to put any other material on the boil (other than mupirocin) as it may only worsen the condition. Sometimes an abscess may develop and the only treatment then is to surgically drain the abscess.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.