Muscle Haematoma

Patient: I went to my doctor yesterday and he said i have a blood clot in my shoulder and its very large in the muscle the pain is getting worse and i dont know what to do is there anyway to drain it or do i need to just wait or have surgery to remove it

Doctor: A haematoma is a collection of blood outside of the blood vessels. Intramuscular haematomas can cause significant pain b ut are usually treated conservatively with rest, analgesics, haematoma compression, and ice packs and will resolve over time. Surgical drainage is usually reserved for a rapidly enlarging haematoma, significant blood loss requiring transfusion, bleeding secondary to over anticoagulation or if a patient becomes acutely unwell with a rapid heart rate or low blood pressure as a result of the haematoma.

Was this answer helpful?

View all posts