Muscle Haematoma

Patient

Q: I went to my doctor yesterday and he said i have a blood clot in my shoulder and its very large in the muscle the pain is getting worse and i dont know what to do is there anyway to drain it or do i need to just wait or have surgery to remove it

Doctor

A:   A haematoma is a collection of blood outside of the blood vessels. Intramuscular haematomas can cause significant pain but are usually treated conservatively with rest, analgesics, haematoma compression, and ice packs and will resolve over time. Surgical drainage is usually reserved for a rapidly enlarging haematoma, significant blood loss requiring transfusion, bleeding secondary to over anticoagulation or if a patient becomes acutely unwell with a rapid heart rate or low blood pressure as a result of the haematoma.