Muscle strain from back injury nine months ago

Q: Hi...about 8-9 months ago I was playing around with my mom and picked her up off the ground. She weighed at the time about 195lbs at the time. I went to the hospital and they only told me it could be a muscle sprain. It has been 9 months and since the I have severe back pain almost every morning with difficulty standing straight and bending over. It tends to last for hours and gives me pain down my legs. The painis worse now than when I got the injury. If it's nt a muscle strain what else could it be and should I seek medical attention? (I have no health insurance)

A:   Pain from muscle strain may last for months if not followed properly at the time of injury. Adequate rest, for a day or two, to allow time for the torn muscle fibres to heal, is very important for early recovery. Anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and muscle relaxants also provide relief. You need to start with mild exercises or stretches, slowly increasing your activities to attain proper conditioning and strength of your back muscles. You may visit a physiotherapist for exercise therapy and pain relief.