Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My 1 month old daughter hasn’t pooped in 2 days

My 1 month old daughter hasn’t pooped in 2 days

Patient: My 1 month old daughter hasn’t pooped in 2 days and her pediatric doc said it was normal for babies to not poop for 3-5 days and he told me to try pedialyte, but he never told me how much to give her. So how much do I give her?

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Pedialyte solution is used for treating or preventing dehydration caused by vomiting or diarrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.Give her the same amount of pedialyte you would normally give her in milk.Using a teaspoon, syringe, or medicine dropper, initially provide small volumes of fluid and then gradually increase the amount as tolerated. Administration via a spoon or syringe with close supervision helps guarantee gradual progression in the amount taken.Hope this helps. Take care.