Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My 10 lb dog just bit my husband on nose

My 10 lb dog just bit my husband on nose

Patient: My 10 lb dog just bit my husband on nose. Bleeding is stopped but afraid it may need stitches. H shaped inside top rt corner across top and tip of nose. Couple of places look to be completely split. How do i know when to force er visit. He’s angry and refusing right now.

Doctor: Hi.Read and understood the history of dog bite on nose of your husband, with multiple wounds.Since the bleeding i s stopped, nothing to worry about it.What is more worrisome is the immunization status of the dog and your husband.I think of the following in such a case:First all wash all wounds on the nose with hydrogen peroxide or if not available soap and plenty of water for the saliva to be washed.You husband definitely need a tetanus and anti-rabies shots immediately. Hence rush to the ER.DO not cover the wounds, do not apply any anything else to the wound.Hope this helps you