Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My 10 year son has recovered from strep throat. but family doctor still want to put him on antibiotics.

My 10 year son has recovered from strep throat. but family doctor still want to put him on antibiotics.

Patient: My son is 10. He had strep throat for about 4 days and then he started getting better. regardless our family doctor took a swab test which came positive. He’s doing fine and has no fever or any symptoms. However our doctor is insisting us to put him on antibiotics asap. We are not fans of antibiotics and thinking about not to give him antibiotics. It’s been over 3 days and he is fine. please advise.

Doctor: Thanks for consulting us. Your doctor might have started on precautionary basis. Some individuals may not show any sympt oms or will have only minor symptoms. Starting on oral Antibiotics can curb the infection and is not harmful to your son. If sore throat persists, You can use steam inhalation for symptomatic relief. Wish him speedy recovery.