Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My 16 year old daughter had an MRI of her lumbar spine.

My 16 year old daughter had an MRI of her lumbar spine.

Patient: My 16 year old daughter had an MRI of her lumbar spine done and I am very confused by the findings. The findings are as follows: T12-L1 mild disc degeneration, L1-2 some disc degeneration, mild to moderate facet joint hypertrophy, L2-3 moderate facet hypertrophy, L3-4 moderate facet joint hypertrophy w/ mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing at this level, L4-5 moderate facet hypertrophy, L5-S1 moderate facet hypertrophy creating some neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally.Isn’t she way to young for this? And could this be a sigh of some type of autoimmune disorder?

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query on ATD.I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are c orrect that MRI description is that of degenerative (age-related changes) and these are unusual for 16 years of age. She should exclude ankylosing spondylitis by doing investigation such as HLA27. Looking to her young age it will be better to review the MRI by another radiologist. Hope your query get answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care