My 3 year old boy has been unwell for around

Patient

Q: My 3 year old boy has been unwell for around 7 days, flue like symptoms runny nose now has a slight cough but yesterday a a few large red spots appeared on his torso that I thought were heat spots or bites but on inspection I notice small red spots scattered over his body today the rash has changed to red and blotchy covering a large area on front and side of torso, can you give any advice, thanks

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history about your year old boy - unwell 7 days - flu like - large red spots on torso - small red spots scattered over his body - changed to red and blotchy covering a large area on front and side of torso today -
My thoughts:
usually such spots are called exenthema and appear after any sort of viral infection - as goes with flu.
But to be more careful, to rule out any reaction to any medicines or of any sort, it is better to get this confirmed by showing to a Pediatrician or a Dermatologist and get treated accordingly as required.
You may please post clear and focused pictures as it helps sometimes for on-the-spot diagnosis.
Please do not apply anything to such lesions as they are usually self-healing unless caused by reactions wherein an active treatment may be needed.