My 33 yo son had a partial nephrectomy 1 yr

Patient : My 33 yo son had a partial nephrectomy 1 yr ago this month for kidney cancer. He text me from fla and said his chest had been hurting for a few days now at chest plate area. No sob. Said it " kinda goes thru to his back". Only recent activity was swimming the other day. He is obese. 6'2. approx 350lbs. Has no family doctor. Works buffing floors. paternal uncle died of MI at 40. I told him to go to er to get checked out. What do you think?
Doctor :   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern. His chest pains seem to be Muscular in nature. However, Cardi ac Chest pain and pain due to Acid reflux should be kept in consideration. It is important to differentiate between the all as the treatment course is entirely different. I would try to explain you the most common presentations of such chest pains that you can discuss with your son. The Muscular chest pain aggravates with movement and dull, diffuse and continuous in nature. It has relation with posture as in case of your son. The Cardiac chest pain is severe and crushing in nature. It increases on activity like walking, exercising and also radiated to left arm, shoulder blade and nape of neck. So, you should get a Chest X-Ray and ECG done. If the ECG and Chest X-ray are normal, the pain is probably Muscular or due to Acid reflux. For muscular pain I advise to do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day. He can also apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area. On taking this treatment, this usually resolves in 5-7 days. In case he has pain in abdomen, and acid reflux, i would advise in such case a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone. Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it. I hope it helps. Stay Healthy