My 4 yr old is excessively masturbating

Patient

Q: My 4 yr old keeps masturbating with toys. Is this normal? How can I get her to stop?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. According to current developmental psychology research, masturbation is common among young children and is a normal part of childhood development. Instead of recommending that that you stop here, we recommend that you discuss with her that this is a normal part of growing up, but there there is a time and place for this type of behaviour. What we are most concerned with is that the objects that she is using, can potentially cause injury to her sensitive genital area. It is important that you explain to her that toys are not to be used for this and can actually hurt her.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com