My 45 year old mother is suffering from high level

Patient

Q: My 45 year old mother is suffering from high level of ESR (more than 50)and she is having severe shoulder pain. Her height is 5"2 and weight is 90 kgs. Whenever she decided to do a regular morning walk, she always got pain in her feet and joints. Also, she has high levels of uric acid. She is also suffering from recurrent typhoid from last 3 years. What tests should she undergo and what all steps or measures should be taken so that she can live a healthy life. I am really worried please help me out. Please tell me all the tests precautions diet everything she should take.

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

Her ESR is significantly high and requires evaluation. There are many causes of high ESR.
Let me brief you most common causes of High ESR:
1. Any Infection including Pneumonia and Tuberculosis
2. Connective Tissue Disorders including Rheumatoid Arthritis.
3. Vasculitis
With the history of joint pains and morning stiffness, she would require to get evaluated for Rheumatoid Arthritis. She would require to get following tests
1. Repeat Hemogram with ESR
2. KFT and LFT
3. X-ray Chest
4. Ultrasound Abdomen.
5. R-Factor.
6. Anti CCP Antibody.
Share my opinion with your doctor and get the evaluation done.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.