My 7-yr old grandson has been vomiting and having diarrhea

Patient

Q: My 7-yr old grandson has been vomiting and having diarrhea off and on for 3-4 days with a fever on day 3 of 101-103 degrees. I gave him 2 doses of children's acetaminophen that day and he responded well. I know he had fevers part of the preceding 2 days, but I don't know how high as he was with his folks. He goes from being very tired to wanting to be more active, yet ends up sitting or laying down again. I don't know what to feed him that his stomach will keep down and just when I think we got through half the day without losing his food, he vomits. The diarrhea is just dark water, but turned lighter this afternoon. He his mostly happy/content, but low energy and he wants to eat. Water intake was okay today, the first 2 days he didn't keep fluids down very well. I'm concerned because he is naturally a very slender boy, and now all his bones are showing, and this just doesn't seem to fit illness patterns with which I am familiar. He's had, all in small portions, water, soda crackers, oatmeal, soft eggs, toast, chicken bouillon with soda crackers, no chicken noodle soup (a vegetarian version which stayed down but showed up partially undigested in his diarrhea the next morning.) no fever today, day 4, but threw up right before going to bed after brushing his teeth, as well as after a small portion of yogurt at breakfast and then again later after eating half a rice cake.... I don't know what to do and I'm worried. Thank you for any help you can give.

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

Your child seems to be suffering from Acute Infective Diarrhea/ Acute Gastro-Enteritis.
Most of the times the diarrhea are viral in origin and it improves with in 3-5 days without any antibiotic therapy.
The only thing that needs to be kept under consideration is that the child doesn't get dehydrated.

Antibiotics are required in cases where there is associated cramping, blood in stools or fever.

Since your child has 4th day of diarrhea and that too with fever, i would recommend for him antibiotics like Ofloxacin and Ornidazole for him.
You should also take Probiotics containing Lactobacillus which helps a lot. You can give him yoghurt that also acts as a very good natural probiotic.
In case he has persistent vomiting's he would require anti-emetics like Domperidone and Ondansetron.

He is lethargic probably because he is dehydrated. Make sure about his hydration status. You can give him Oral Rehydration syrup (ORS) for the purpose of re-hydration.
Make sure he is passing urine frequently. If the urine is yellowish in color, it indicated persistent dehydration or jaundice.
You should give him light, easily digestible food like Soups, watermelon. Avoid egg and chicken for the time being.

I hope it helps.
Share my opinion with your doctor and if you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.