Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My 80 lb great dane and 40 pound shepherd sprinted

My 80 lb great dane and 40 pound shepherd sprinted

Patient: My 80 lb great dane and 40 pound shepherd sprinted into the house and both jumped onto the couch where i was laying and landed right below my rib cage and on the lowest rib and now its swelling but its not black and blue nor is it red its just skin color and hurts a bit. Should i be worried?

Symptoms: Pain and swelling

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.You seem to have developed bruising and Muscular chest pa in due to the injury. In case you have severe pain then you need to get the chest Xray done otherwise this pain and bruising will settle in 3-5 days. For muscular chest pain I would advice you to take a pain killer like Ibuprofen and apply locally ointment containing Diclofenac.You should also do hot fomentation of the affected area. Don’t do any exertional activities. Your swelling and pain with start getting with each passing day and will get perfectly normal in a week. The redness and bruising would get better with 3-5 days.I hops you will get relief by this treatment discussed. Share my opinion with your doctor before you act upon it.If you have any further query, please ask me.Stay Healthy.

Patient: Ok thank you, if it’s worth noting it hurts more when I take deep breaths and the swelling starts at the inside edge of the left pectoral and goes over to where my arm meets my right side at a rest.

Doctor: Yes that’s characteristic of Muscular pain. You just need treatment ad discussed.
Good luck.