My 9 year old son tweaked his right knee a

Patient : My 9 year old son tweaked his right knee a bit playing football today. Then tonight he complained that he couldn't feel the ground with his right foot. I tried to tickle his foot and he didn't flinch. I had him ice his knee and take an ibeoprophin for swelling and I think it's a little better. Could minor swelling in the knee affect nerves in his foot?
Doctor :   Hello Thanks for posting your query at ATD. Swelling is not the cause of sensory loss in the area of foot of your child, its the streching of nerve during the injury which cause such symptoms. Usually such nerve injuries are of neuropraxia type, which revolves on its own within few hours to couple of weeks. Traumatic knee effusion is also a common entity and minor effusion don't require aspiration but in case of large effusion it is highly advisable to get the knee aspirated. Keep your child under observation for any changes in size of the swelling or development of new symptoms such as increased intensity of pain, fever, instability while walking, inability/difficulty in toe & foot movements. If such conditions arise urgent evaluation by an orthopaedic surgeon is recommended. I hope the query is answered to your satisfaction. If there is anything else, please write to us. Feel free to discuss further. Regards