Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My ankle hurts I twisted it but idk if its

My ankle hurts I twisted it but idk if its

Patient: My ankle hurts I twisted it but idk if its sprained or its nothing I can’t move it all the way up it hurts do u think its sprained?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Twisting of the ankle can be very painful and it does cause a sprain.The pain may last several days ranging from 5-7 days.If you’re able to put pressure and walk, it rules out any minor fractures.I will advise you to take a good analgesic like Ibuprofen ( Advil ) for the pain and locally you can apply Diclofenac gel for 3 days. If the pain still persists, you can consult your physician for an x-ray.Hope this was helpful,Regards.