Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My ankle was sprained5 weeks ago but it’s still really

My ankle was sprained5 weeks ago but it’s still really

Patient: My ankle was sprained5 weeks ago but it’s still really swollen, Is this normal?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I think you have a soft tissue injury. I think that you should start on RICE therapy. RI CE is the method used to help with the therapy.Resting the ankle and avoiding walking will help you with the recoveryIce the ankle for 15 mins every hour several times a day to reduce the swellingCompress the ankle by using an ankle sleeve or a crepe bandageElevate the leg by placing it on top of the pillowIf the swelling does not stop after 3 days, please see a Doctor to help you. Hope this helps you. All the best.