My blood sugar has been 170-200 for two months

Patient : My blood sugar has been 170_200 for two months no medical insurance how much danger am I in
Doctor :   Hi. Thanks for your query. Read and understood your history of diabetes and you were taking Metformin 500 mg twice d aily. It seems you have stopped since January (Medication: Was on Metformin 500 twice a day since January as per history you have provided). Your age group is 46-55 years and the sugar range is 170-200 for 2 months. No medical Insurance and wants to know how much dangerous it is. You have not mentioned whether the readings are for fasting, postprandial or random. If these readings are for fasting, these are high and you should take the medicines regularly. The dangers are of 2 types: 1. Immediate: if you contract any infection, this high sugar will lead to increase in infection and its complications. 2. Delayed: Diabetes is known to affect all parts and tissues of the body on a long term basis. If you keep sugars under control, these delayed complications may not affect you or affect the least. I would suggest you the following: Try to control your blood sugar by a combination of diet control and exercises. I am sure you can do this and then the medicines may not be needed for you. You will have to stringently adhere to the routines which keep your sugar under control. I hope this answer helps you to understand the possibility of controlling on your own. If you can not, taking medicines will then be necessary.