Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My boyfriend and I have recently had unprotected sex

My boyfriend and I have recently had unprotected sex

Patient: My boyfriend and I have recently had unprotected sex for the first time, the next day I noticed a vaginal odor and a little discharge I now have a little bit of itchiness and redness. I have had a couple yeast infections in the past and I would like to know if this is maybe linked to that?

Doctor: Hello.Thanks for the query to ATD.Itchy vagina and discharges are often due to vaginitis. Symptoms of vaginitis in clude vaginal pain or discomfort, itching, discharge, and odor. Pain during urination or during sexual intercourse is also common.Vaginitis may be due to infections or non-infectious causes. Infectious vaginitis may be due to bacteria, fungi, or the parasitic organism known as Trichomonas. Infectious vaginitis should be treated with antibiotics.Vaginitis can also be related to physical or chemical irritation of the vagina. Some infectious causes of vaginitis are sexually-transmitted diseases (STDs), but not all vaginal infections are sexually-transmitted. Testing the vaginal fluid for microorganisms help in the diagnosis. Please have this examined by a doctor.Hope this helps.