My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back

Patient

Q: My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back positive with chlamydia and has to take medicine for a week. My question is I recently just got pap and my doctor noticed some discharge and prescribed me metronidazole 500mg twice a day for a week . Can this help with chlamydia? Or do I have to contact my doctor?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.

Noted your history, that your boyfriend got tested for STDs and he came back positive with chlamydia and has to take medicine for a week. On the other hand, you got your Pap smear done and your Doctor prescribed you to take Metronidazole 500 mg twice a day for a week. Now you wanted to know if Metronidazole can help with chlamydia or not?

Well, if it is a chlamydial infection then Metronidazole is unlikely to work.
Chlamydial infections are usually treated with broad spectrum antibiotics like Doxycycline 100 mg, for a period of 1-2 weeks.
So it would be better if you can contact your Doctor and get the right medicine for it.

Also, as a precautionary measure, please use protection while having sex as STDs are easily transmitted through sexual activity.

Hope this helps.
Wish you good health.