My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back

Patient: My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back positive with chlamydia and has to take medicine for a week. My question is I recently just got pap and my doctor noticed some discharge and prescribed me metronidazole 500mg twice a day for a week . Can this help with chlamydia? Or do I have to contact my doctor?

Doctor: Hi.Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.Noted your history, that your boyfriend got tested for STDs an d he came back positive with chlamydia and has to take medicine for a week. On the other hand, you got your Pap smear done and your Doctor prescribed you to take Metronidazole 500 mg twice a day for a week. Now you wanted to know if Metronidazole can help with chlamydia or not?Well, if it is a chlamydial infection then Metronidazole is unlikely to work.Chlamydial infections are usually treated with broad spectrum antibiotics like Doxycycline 100 mg, for a period of 1-2 weeks.So it would be better if you can contact your Doctor and get the right medicine for it.Also, as a precautionary measure, please use protection while having sex as STDs are easily transmitted through sexual activity.Hope this helps.Wish you good health.