Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1040): Too many connections in /var/app/current/include/dailydose_footer.php on line 32 Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, boolean given in /var/app/current/include/dailydose_footer.php on line 39 Warning: mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, null given in /var/app/current/include/dailydose_footer.php on line 41 Warning: mysqli_fetch_all() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, null given in /var/app/current/include/dailydose_footer.php on line 43 My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back | Ask The Doctor

My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back

Patient : My boyfriend got tested for stds and he came back positive with chlamydia and has to take medicine for a week. My question is I recently just got pap and my doctor noticed some discharge and prescribed me metronidazole 500mg twice a day for a week . Can this help with chlamydia? Or do I have to contact my doctor?
Doctor :   Hi. Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query. Noted your history, that your boyfriend got tested for STDs an d he came back positive with chlamydia and has to take medicine for a week. On the other hand, you got your Pap smear done and your Doctor prescribed you to take Metronidazole 500 mg twice a day for a week. Now you wanted to know if Metronidazole can help with chlamydia or not? Well, if it is a chlamydial infection then Metronidazole is unlikely to work. Chlamydial infections are usually treated with broad spectrum antibiotics like Doxycycline 100 mg, for a period of 1-2 weeks. So it would be better if you can contact your Doctor and get the right medicine for it. Also, as a precautionary measure, please use protection while having sex as STDs are easily transmitted through sexual activity. Hope this helps. Wish you good health.