Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My boyfriend has a burning tingling sensation in the tip

My boyfriend has a burning tingling sensation in the tip

Patient: My boyfriend has a burning tingling sensation in the tip of his penis/urethra. I have asked him a ton of questions in order to figure out if he needs to see a doctor or not. He states that he does not feel the sensation when he urinates but he does feel the sensation before and after urinating. He also states that he feels the sensation sitting down and laying down but the feeling intensifies when laying down on his right side and is normal pain when laying down on his left side. He has been tested regularly for std’s and so have I, neither one of us has one. I did ask him if he had taken a shower before work this morning and he normally rushes his showers so he won’t be late. He also shows signs of kidney stone but he has no bleeding in his urine, no discharge, and no red irritation so I also thought that he might have gotten a little soap into the tip of his penis/urethra. Please help. Any information regarding this would be helpful and I am thankful for your time and patience.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There are many causes for a burning and tingling sensation on the tip of the penis, exp erienced by sexually active young men. Urinary tract infections, kidney stones, stones anywhere in the urinary tract, urethral strictures, urethritis or inflammation, blood circulation disturbances,excessive masturbation, vigorous intercourse, condom allergies, infections of penis could be the possible causes. He will have to drink plenty of water daily and maintain private hygiene.. Avoid cosmetic lotions and other soaps over the area and keep the area dry and has to wear cotton undergarments. Consider meeting a physician or a surgeon for an examination and further opinion on this. A urine examination and a micturating cystourethrogram may be needed. A urologist will be the best to help and treat the condition if available.Hope this helped.Regards