Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My boyfriend has gonorrhea, but I dont

My boyfriend has gonorrhea, but I dont

Patient: I had blood work about a month ago for STDs and everything came back negative. My boyfriend started having groin pains about a week ago and the doctor said he has gonorrhea. I have complete trust in his fidelity so does this mean the gonorrhea has been dormant from a previous partner and that is why I haven’t been infected?

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that can infect both men and women. It can cause infections in the gen itals, rectum, and throat. It is a very common infection, especially among young people ages 15-24 years. You can get gonorrhea by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has gonorrhea. A pregnant woman with gonorrhea can give the infection to her baby during childbirth.In addition to this, Gonorrhea may also be spread by contact with infected bodily fluids from an affected person. Your doctor may be able to confirm the diagnosis and may isolate the particular cause of his infection after an interview and examination.