My boyfriend has had several concussions in the past year,

Q: My boyfriend has had several concussions in the past year, his most recent was 5 months ago and he fully recovered 2 months later. He can get an erection but says he has no sex drive. Is this caused by the concussions or a larger problem?

Symptoms:  No sex drive

A:   Hello! Thank you for asking this question on ATD.

Concussion injuries may affect the brain in a diverse way. A careful clinical examination and imaging studies are required to point out the extent of organic damage to the brain. Sexual desire or libido may be affected by multiple brain injuries, and erection is a process that operates in a slightly different neural pathway. Your neurologist will be able to point out the cause after a detailed clinical examination and imaging studies.Meanwhile, you should also allow him some more time to recover, with the neurologist's permission. Nerve injuries are known to heal very slowly. Patience is required.

Hope this helps.