Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My bp is 179/98 with a pulse of 115 this

My bp is 179/98 with a pulse of 115 this

Patient: My bp is 179/98 with a pulse of 115 this is 3 he’s after my night time meds and not doing anything but rest should I go to er

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.You have grade 2 hypertension along with high pulse rate.This can be damaging to your internal organs so you should visit a health care provider at the earliest and take treatment accordingly.Here are some changes that can offer huge improvements in your high blood pressure levels:Change your diet.Studies have found that a low-salt (low-sodium) diet has a big benefit when it comes to lowering hypertension. Cutting back on high-sodium foods and salt at mealtimes is recommended for people with high blood pressure — keep your daily salt consumption to less than 2,300 milligrams of salt, about equal to one teaspoon.Get active.Exercise is another key to management of hypertension — 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week can really boost heart health.Lower stress.Keeping stress under control with regular relaxation has been found to help lower high blood pressure. Allow yourself some time each day to unwind and enjoy life.Cut out tobacco and reduce alcohol consumption.Tobacco use and drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can contribute to high blood pressure.Get to a healthy body weight.Obesity — even being overweight — is a major contributor to high blood pressure. So for better management of hypertension, lose weight. The goal is a body mass index, or BMI, of between 18 and 24.9. And all of those other lifestyle changes, like a healthy diet and regular exercise, will help you achieve it.Monitor medication usage.If you take many medications, it’s a good idea to review them with your doctor to see if any of them could be contributing to your high blood pressure or interacting with your blood pressure medications. Decongestants and other cold medications, some antidepressants, steroids, and pain relievers like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can raise blood pressure, so ask your doctor about over-the-counter drugs and any other prescriptions if you’re struggling to manage hypertension.Be vigilant about watching your blood pressure levels.You know you have high blood pressure, so stay on top of it. Always take your medications the way that your doctor recommends, and make sure that your blood pressure is monitored frequently.Hope this helps. Take care.