My brother in law tried to commit suicude He

Q: My brother in law tried to commit suicude. He was found barely breathing and unresponsive. He does not wish to live in a semi or comatose state. What questions do I need to advise the family to ask the Drs to find out how much brain capacity he will likely have? I'm a veterinarian, so I know they will likely speak in broad terms and say they can't say for sure. What statistics do I need to ask for?

Symptoms:  Hypoxia following suicude attempt

Thank you for your query at
If he is unresponsive because of hypoxia then the primary question would be what's his oxygen saturation now? The lesser the saturation, the higher the chances of death.

Most importantly they will overall assess his state by the Glasgow coma scale ( GCS ), if according to this his score is less than 5, it is highly unlikely he won't be able to make it. So you can ask them the GCS score.
Besides, the hemoglobin and the amount of blood loss is also critical.

I hope I could help you a bit. Also, I will pray you and your family can overcome this and start leading a normal life soon.

Patient: The doctors are saying he is not responsive. They say if he is not responsive in 48 hours, he will be considered brain dead, and will only be able to live in a vegetative state. Is this true? An MRI showed NSF.
Doctor: Hello,
It's a matter of life and death and I need to see all his reports to be able to comment on that.
Especially his hemoglobin, oxygen saturation, and serum electrolytes and rft. Based on that I can comment further.