My Brother In Law was a football player all through

Patient : My Brother In Law was a football player all through middle and high school. He had around 10-15 concussions over the 6 years. He recently got diagnosed with epilepsy. I was wondering if there is any way he could have CTE or if the epilepsy could be caused by the head trauma?
Doctor :   Hi, Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor. Epilepsy occurs due to excitability of the nerves. The excitability of the nerves causes the seizures. Repeated injury to the head can cause blood clots or bleeding in the brain. When the brain recovers, the nerves can be more excitable than normal and this can lead to seizures. You Brother in Law should be on medication to help treat the Epilepsy. I hope for a quick recovery for him.