My calf has seized up and I cannot straighten my right leg.

Patient

Q: My calf has seized up and I cannot straighten my right leg as it feels like my calf will just rip open. I think I over did it in the gym two days ago while working out my legs. Any suggestions how I can straighten my leg again.

Doctor

Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to having DOMS. DOMS stands for delayed onset of muscle soreness. DOMS occurs when a person performs activity that he is not accustomed to. This causes damage to the muscles which prevents contraction of the muscles.

You can help the soreness in the muscles by performing a massage and using heat therapy. Along with this, use Paracetamol to reduce the swelling. it takes about 2 to 3 days for DOMS to recover.