Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My calf has seized up and I cannot straighten my right leg.

My calf has seized up and I cannot straighten my right leg.

Patient: My calf has seized up and I cannot straighten my right leg as it feels like my calf will just rip open. I think I over did it in the gym two days ago while working out my legs. Any suggestions how I can straighten my leg again.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.You seem to having DOMS. DOMS stands for delayed onset of muscle s oreness. DOMS occurs when a person performs activity that he is not accustomed to. This causes damage to the muscles which prevents contraction of the muscles.You can help the soreness in the muscles by performing a massage and using heat therapy. Along with this, use Paracetamol to reduce the swelling. it takes about 2 to 3 days for DOMS to recover.