My child is suffering from ADHD and he is hyperactive

Patient: My child is suffering from ADHD and he is hyperactive. He does not make any eye contact, does not listen to our command and does not speak. But he was absolutly normal upto the age of 1 year and he used to speak broken words like “pa”, “bye” etc. His all other activities like sitting, walking etc also started at normal time. What treatment options are available and where in India. What should I do now. Is there any side effect of oral medication for ADHD?

Symptoms: Hyperactivity

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for writing to us.I have read your case and can understand your situation.Your child may be suffe ring from ADHD with autism as he is not able to interact socially.The following are signs of autism :No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter.No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions by nine months.No babbling by 12 months.No back-and-forth gestures such as pointing, showing, reaching or waving by 12 months.No words by 16 months.No meaningful, two-word phrases (not including imitating or repeating) by 24 months.Any loss of speech, babbling or social skills at any age.For ADHD following treatment options are available:1) Pharmacotherapy :stimulants – Methylphenidate, amphetaminesnon stimulants – Atomoxetine, clonidine2) Psychotherapy :a) cognitive behaviour therapy -this can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. A CBT therapist would try to change how your child feels about a situation, which would in turn potentially change their behaviour.b) psychoeducation – It can help children, teenagers and adults make sense of being diagnosed with ADHD, and can help you to cope and live with the condition.c) Social skills trainingSocial skills training involves your child taking part in role play situations, and aims to teach them how to behave in social situations by learning how their behaviour affects others.It is advisable for you to see psychiatrist/psychologist for above treatment.Hope this helps.Feel free to write back.Regards