Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My dad eats way too much salt

My dad eats way too much salt

Patient: Hi, my dad has a problem with eating too much salt. He dumps a lot on vegetables, and just eats it from the shaker. I tell him it’s bad but he shrugs it off and says I’ve been doing this for years and I’m still here. There’s no way of convincing him and it stresses me out. How dangerous is eating too much salt? And he barely drinks anything too.

Doctor: The daily recommended salt consumption for adults is 5-6g and water intake should be 2-3 liters. High salt intake is ass ociated with Hypertension (high blood pressure), Cardiovascular diseases, Fluid retention in body, etc. So it is dangerous.I advise you to take your father to a General Physician for a thorough checkup. Since you have already tried convincing him, he must be counseled by a physician.