My dad had tore his calf muscle a couple weeks

Q: My dad had tore his calf muscle a couple weeks ago. It doesnt appear swollen but it is still bruised around the calf area. At this point he using crutches to move around. A few questions i have are does he still need to be icing ,wrapping and elevating his leg? What about when he sleeps should he keep it elevated and wrapped then? What type of exercises should he start with to begin strenghening it?

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Icing will be not of much use now. He can apply crepe bandage (Wrap)his leg and foot while walking. During night and resting hours he can keep calf elevated on pillow to reduce swelling. No need of wrapping and applying crepe bandage at night. Bruise will gradually disappear by itself. He can use analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Vitamin B and C are useful in healing. Active mobilisation of ankle will be useful. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.