My dad is 60 and after my grandfather passed away

Patient

Q: My dad is 60 and after my grandfather passed away close to 2 years ago my dad has lost about 25 lbs but he still eats the same and has the same routine. He has also said he is thirsty alot and has to pee alot as well. Should I be worried? I told him to go to his doctor but he is hard headed.

Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

25 lbs is a big amount of weight and there has to be a reason for this huge loss. Further going by the other symptoms like feeling thirsty and drinking a lot of water and increased frequency of passing urine suggests that it could even be a diabetes. It needs evaluation by getting the blood sugars tested. Not to make you anxious by losing such amount of weight at the age of 70 yrs should make one rule out malignancy as well.
Do take him to a Doctor and get him examined and evaluated.

Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health